Monday, February 15, 2010

Winter 2010 GeneaBloggers Games status

Well, in order to try to get my genealogy back in order, I decided the event planned by Thomas on FB was a great incentive.  Now I have been doing research in genealogy for over 35 years. So I have a lot of data, and a lot that is on paper only (some really bad early microfilm copies included!), and research usually wins over organization and proper filing in my busy life...  And when I started using the computer programs, the citations for every piece, and typing of data into the program was NOT my favorite task. There is always a small in work pile. This year has been a treasure trove of research ( see my previous post on top 10 things for 2009) so the new pile has gotten out of hand. Here's what I've been doing:
Competition Category 3 -- Organize your research.  Event tasks:
  • Task A: Organize at least 20 hard files or ancestral items (books, fabrics, inherited items) into file folders, boxes, envelopes, containers, etc.; archival-quality where appropriate.
  • Task B: Organize at least 20 digital files into folders, label, add metadata, add descriptions, add tags, etc.
  • Task C: Organize at least 20 photos into photo albums, scrapbooks, collages, protective holders, boxes, etc.
  • Task D: Organize at least 20 digital photos into folders, label, add metadata, add descriptions, add tags, etc.
  • Task E: Create at least 20 data entries in your database, or scan 20 photos, or scan 20 documents.
  • Task F: Create a master list of your files and notify your family members of where it is stored.
          I have done scads of research since last October, with research winning over filing every time; I now have several piles like this ( this is the worst!) :
 
Before! placed by TV chair at start of Olympics
Since I have to place all data into surname notebooks after entering into computer, the first step is to sort by surname into my file box.  The second step will be to make sure the data from each surname file has been entered into my Rootsmagic program trees [Ooh, can now compete in the Cite! category as well!]. The last step is the actual placement in notebook, or picture archival box (or trash if scanned or duplicate record).

Here's where I am after the Friday and Saturday Olympics broadcasts.  I still have a small pile left, but have run out of room in the file box... so will have to move on to step 2.
I will be platinum by the time I finish this task, as I'm sure that there is enough for 20 scans, 20 picture sorts, and organizing digital files... Thanks for the nudge Thomas! [Go USA!] 
       
Now about those other competition categories..... Hey Thomas, does this competition blog count for participation in a "carnival"  under the "Write, Write, Write category?

2 comments:

Linda Hughes Hiser said...

I admire your bravery. I don't know if I will even attempt the events that deal with organization ;-) Linda from Flipside

Sue Barry said...

I'm taking the challenge as a push.... My stuff has been unorganized for far too long. Thanks for reading my blog!